GETS OUT OF THE WAY OF THE MUSIC
smart passive AVC preamplifier with remote
icOn 4PRO passive preamplifier is
- a passive magnetic preamplifier (AVC) built around Dave Slagle’s world-class autoformers
- without colouration, noise or distortion, but has unrivalled transparency enabling you to enjoy the original recording to the full
- fully controllable from your listening position with an easy to use Apple remote
- capable of unlimited life of noise-free switching on account of using FET switches instead of rotary switches or reed relays
- adjustable in 1 dB volume steps, which allows a smooth control of volume having a range of 75 dB with 68 steps
- unbalanced and “true” balanced (with 2 pair autoformers) models with flexible input/output configurations
- highly functional with balance, mute, optional AV bypass, display with night mode providing control at your fingertips
- the most versatile and future-proof passive preamp family on the market with customizable features through firmware upgrades
- modern design with clean, sleek lines in a minimalist enclosure with high WAF
- highly innovative with unique features seldom found in passive preamplifiers regardless of price
- designed and built in the UK
As seen in
“As far as sheer sonic excellence, maturity and completeness go, it sits as high as my reference linestage that now sells for roughly £17’000 before VAT and is the best one I know, okay? That’s why if you’re in the market for a preamp and don’t intend to purposely inject chunky syrupy flavor into your system, auditioning icOn 4PRO prior to anything else is my best advice.”
“Today’s award wrote itself… One this good and flexible is simply more globally relevant than many will have thought. Being priced fairly and built to a high standard makes it a true standout.”
People don’t just buy what they need. They buy what they want. which needn’t be the same. Case in point? Active preamps. Most modern digital sources will drive most modern amplifiers to full output. No extra gain is required, just signal cut/attenuation plus sure selection. What do active preamps do in this context? Look at it this way. 2+8 -9=1. Two is your source signal voltage. One is the signal strength needed to play at your desired loudness. Adding more gain symbolized by eight only to knock it down by nine is wasteful. A passive simplifies the math. 2-1=1. It’s pure signal cut, no boost. At the very least it’s more efficient so greener. It also should incur fewer losses from less signal manipulation and produce less noise and distortion.
How does it work?
icOn uses a high performance microprocessor, sophisticated firmware to control not only the basic features like volume, source selection, but also balance, instant mute. AV BYPASS, night mode, sleep, etc..
These features are simply missing from other passive transformer based preamps, meaning icOn 4PRO has a much higher level of versatility from the comfort of your armchair.
For volume level adjustment, icOn uses high quality FET switches for selection of the autoformer taps, ensuring contact error and noise free operation, which conventional rotary switches are prone to.
Furthermore by the use of these FET switches the signal path is kept remarkably short, thus reducing possible interference to a minimum. This compares to the more common rats nest found in many TVC/AVC passives which can be prone to interference pickup.
Most people find that the autoformer volume control sounds significantly better than even the best potentiometer or stepped attenuator. And it’s not a subtle difference; most people report that the autoformer has such an open, effortless sound that they would not consider going back to a resistive device.
The icOn 4PRO models
Meet the exact input/output requirements of our customers.
Due to the increased demand, the expected delivery time of the 4PRO models is approx. 2-3 weeks. All prices on our website don’t include VAT. For the UK customers, we charge 20% VAT and the buyers outside of the UK will have to pay VAT alongside any applicable customs fees or duties at the point of import.